reverie of sorts

Monday, August 28, 2006

Nice-ness

What's wrong with being nice?

For one, I believe that nice-ness goes a looooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnggggggggg way. Really. Yet somehow, un-nice people just don't see the whole point of the nice-ness thingy.

What's nice-ness? A simple smile is nice-ness. An offer to help is nice-ness. Damn it, even the willingness to want to help with a smile is nice-ness.

Let me show nice-ness. When I was at Thai Express @ City Link to have dinner, Rahman the manager offered to take care of my cake - bring the box in, place the cake on a plate, gather a couple of colleagues to sing the birthday song - and was really helpful and friendly throughout my meal. That's nice-ness.

But there's this whole bunch of un-nice people who make nice-ness really precious. I left my money clip at Cathay Cineleisure cinema 9. Went back to look for it but the guy cleaning up said he didn't see anything because the area I was seated hasn't been cleaned. Alarms. Where did the empty cup that I left behind go to then? When he said that, I kinda knew my money clip was gone. And his supervisor who came in slightly later didn't help by saying "You can't accuse him of taking it" when all we asked was did anyone else clear that area if it wasn't that guy. Goosh. Nice-ness people.

Is this about getting what we want in life? Un-nice people climb over the species of nice and get ahead in life? I can see people nodding already. Seriously, I don't think un-nice people get the whole being nice idea. Seriously. We should all be nice and want to be nice. Shouting or being hostile doesn't get you anywhere. It doesn't speed up anything and you just look bad.

I have this thing for spotting nice-ness. Usually I can tell quite easily if you're genuinely nice. Haa in fact I think everyone can. So seriously, start being nice. It's just sick to see pretend-nice. Oh wait, isn't that what I do for a living? ... ... ...

For every one Rahman, there're probably five Cathay Cinema cleaners. So please, help turn that ratio around. I still believe in nice-ness and that it will still get you ahead in life.

It will! It will? It will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home