reverie of sorts

Friday, May 16, 2008

Prison break

Those who know which accounts I work on will know which I prefer. And for some policy sake, I shan’t name the accounts. I often have the opportunity to enter highly secure premises for work. And I tell everyone who asks about my experience there that it’s always humbling to hear stories about regrets and promises.

I’m heading for my short holiday tomorrow with my parents and my gal. I think in a twisted sort of way, living in a prison is almost like a holiday. These folks are thrown into a completely different environment; so do travelers who experience new city/rural lifestyles when they get off the plane. And very often, a lot of these folks learn new things about themselves which they fail to realize when they were living in their comfort zones previously; similarly, travelers develop some sort of independence and culturally absorb as much as they can. More importantly, these people, who are like you and me, learn to treasure what they’ve been missing out on – discipline, routine, opportunities, freedom, family love; just like them, a lot of travelers start to miss home or how cushy they lead their lives back at home.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m totally looking forward to this short trip. It’s just that every time I speak with one these folks who share their stories of regret and how they have made the commitment to change, it warms my heart. These are real people with real tears and laughter each time they speak about their lives. I just hope they make the best of their holiday and go home after that inspired to do much more for themselves and people who care about them.

2 Comments:

At 10:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an interesting analogy, albeit quite twisted.

 
At 9:56 am, Blogger aaron said...

slightly la... :) Who's this?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home